Thursday, December 27, 2007

DOUBLE BASS

Recently on my way back to Kuala Lumpur from Seremban, Negeri Sembilan. I've decided to use the old trunk road which will take me pass by a few small district to Kajang. I pass by a place known as Beranang and while driving I saw an antique shop. Being a collector, I must admit this is a must visit which took at least two hours.

I can't recall the name of the shop but the owner is an actor. As I walked into his shop he welcome me with a greeting and offer me to look around his shop for anything which interest me. As usual my wife will scout for her dinner set. I notice a few stuff placed at the corner of the shop that catch my eye. It is the lesung keropok!! Curious to know the price of it I asked the owner how much is he willing to sell it for? He then quoted RM400.00 I then smiled knowing that I only invest less than RM100 for one. now I know how much value it carries.

He displayed quite a lot of antiques on shelve but I must admit the price are a bit too high to my budget. While roaming around his shop Me and my wife notice on a small Islamic art also known as 'KHAT'. Made of copper it is the verse of 'Qursi'. With wooden framed I then grab it without asking for the price which I believe will not be more than RM50. At the same time I noticed a Double Bass frame placed on the wall where he placed all of his items need to be repaired/refurbished. I then approached the item and suddenly crossed my mind that I can convert this Musical instrument into something useful. Ahah!!! yes, I can always convert it to a wall clock. All I need is just to get the clock machine and place it on the instrument.

I took the instrument out of it place and ask him to quote what is the price he looking for for this wreck instrument. He hesitate to quote the price for the instrument was not really an instrument since the only thing left is a piece of the Double Bass front body. No Neck, Bridges or anything. After a long negotiation, He then agree to sell it to me for RM30. Obviously it is not fair for him to sell that wreck for more than RM50. He then asked me what do I have in mind for this abandoned musical instrument? Told him I will convert it to a wall clock. But it need lots of work prior displaying ti on my wall.

The first layer of it frame has been ripped off which means I need to balance out to the whole body. Wow, sure it was not an easy job. I've got to scrapped all of it, Clean it up, apply one coat of varnish then only I will be able to work on the clock engine.

It is now sitting at my workshop lying down waiting to be cleaned and to be given a new look. Since I am working full time in a financial institution. I can only accommodate a few hours a week to work on this poor guy...

No comments: