Saturday, December 22, 2007

Kuantan

Recently I was in Kuantan for a trip. Obviously I will definitely pay a visit to the flea market located at PADANG MAJLIS PERBANDARAN KUANTAN next to the state mosque.

There is only two antiques trader trade there. One with lots of items and the other less than 10 items placed on his mat.

I visit the trader with load of items. There where Chinese calculator know as 'sampuah' in hokkien. Asked him to quote the price and to my surprise he quoted RM50.00 and claimed it age more than 70 years old and with all of his stupidity he showed me the metal tag nailed to the calculator which says' MADE IN CHINA'. I asked him how did he define that this is an antique or not? Another silly answer I've got from him, "The design tells you a lot".

Not satisfied with the answer, I then questioned the metal tag since I am very sure back then those Chinese didn't place a metal tag on their product. They print on the wood itself.
Then another questioned posed to him on how did he distinguished is that item an old calculator? I asked for the slot where we can slide a wooden plate act as a cover for that calculator? I can't just imagine his level of arrogant and ignorance of being questioned in front of the rest of crowd in front of him. He murmured.. " If you want to buy this thing then just give me the money and walk away. Don't questioned me on the authenticity of my item."
I then advised him to respect his customer by not cheating them with a faky.

No comments: