Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Searching for Antiques

Hi all,

I must admit being an antiquity enthusiast is somehow challenging. Being a person with an average income earner, I will do my very best to get any item at minimal cost. To do so, I need to brave myself asking for an item should I see anything has been left abandoned.I must admit living in a community where people were very reserved in voicing out their feelings and sceptical on the other party interest is somehow challenging.

For an instance, I've come across an old dressing table placed at the yard exposed to the Malaysian tropical weather for I don't know how long. Good enough for me estimate tha it has been there for years. I examined the dressing with only three quarter leg left abandoned nearby the dumping area nearby an old man house. I've passed by that old malay house for several times and still that old dressing table stood helplessly waiting for it time to be burnt.

One fine day I approached the owner and probe on that old dressing table. Having granted his permission to examine the dressing table I then realize that it was imported from the Netherlands. The old man happily sharing the history of the dressing table to me. It was a gift to his mother as a wedding gift from her husband. Looking at the old man age the dressing table must be aged more than 60 years old.He inherited the dressing table from his mother but after 20 years of marriage it has become out of fashion and not practical anymore for current use. That is when he decided to get rid of it permanently.



With such statement made by him I then offer him to salvage the dressing table and in return I willingly offer him RM100.00 for it. Immediately his facial expression changed and then quoted he need to consult with his son prior selling it to me. Knowing that it has been there for a long period I then remind him that it has been there for many years and now waiting for it last day which most likely to be burnt by him. With a very stern voice, he claimed that his son has been eyeing for the dressing table and forgotten about it all this while.

Being frustrated I then acknowledge his decision and inform him should he change his mind, Do keep it for I will be back for the dressing table. He nodded as I make my way out of his lawn while cursing silently why must he changed his mind all of the sudden?

A few months later, I passed by his house and saw the table has been severely turn to ashes. I only get to see mirror and a drawer left.

I fail to understand why must he defy my offer to salvage the dressing table and what drive him to destroy it! Didn't he treasure his mother dressing table? Didn't he want to passed it on to his son or daughter for them to appreciate their grandmother marriage? Or he must have hate his mother very much that makes him arrived with such decision?

It still puzzled me till today....why? why? why? Didn't he wants to see his mother dressing table being salvage and put to live again? as I have promised him earlier if he decided to sell it to me I will show him how it looks like after being restored and will become part of history?

No comments: